Wednesday 30 March 2011

Last Person Alive

Last night Fili was doing the vocals for Last Person. It's a kind of powerpop song about a guy fantasising over being the last person alive and being hunted down by machines. He gets lonely and kills himself.It's a great little song. Unfortunately I'd written it and never kept the lyrics and I havent got a clue what some of the lyrics are. I've tried listening back and so has Fili and Jimmy but they dont make sense. One bit where I'd sung "the why's and wherefores" Fili had translated into the "the werewolves in my mind" which was actually better. There's another bit about "concrete pillars and...." and the forensic investigations team for the Metropolitan Police would struggle to know whats' being said. It's backwards singing. Like Russian. Russians always sound like they are talking backwards.

Fili said to me "do you never keep your lyrics?" and I had to say no. For every half decent one there's a few others scrawled on the back of an envelope which dont make the cut. You tend to be trying to write something and you see these terrible unused lyrics and you feel like puking up or sending them to Hallmark or setting fire to your room in a frantic rush to get rid of them. That's why I bin them. They annoy the f**k out of me. Even when Fili sends some lyrics over, I usually chop them up to fit the music, and if you then go back to something that was maybe better originally it's not good for your psyche to know you've actually made something worse.

Still, Fili was using an inhaler and coughing and her voice had lost most of it's range due to the cold so we ended up just scrapping the singing. I've got a week to go back and try and work out what the words are while she recovers.

1 comment:

  1. It's comforting that I am not the only one desperately trying to decipher some of your lyrics. The werewolves in my mind are appeased.

    ReplyDelete